Take your craving into the kitchen.
White Castle Empanadas
2013 Cookoff Winner
|10||White Castle Sliders (chopped)|
|1 cup||shredded sharp cheddar|
|1/2 package||softened Philly Cream Cheese|
|1||chopped & seeded jalapeno|
|1/2||chopped red bell pepper|
|1 teaspoon||ground cumin|
|1/2 teaspoon||course kosher salt|
|1/2 Teaspoon||chili powder|
|1 package||refrigerated pie crust|
1. First use the water and egg to make a egg wash then set aside.
2. Second mix the coarse kosher salt and chili powder and set aside.
3. Roll out your pie crusts and use a 3-4 inch cookie cutter to make your empanada rounds.
4. Put on a lightly greased baking sheet and set aside (start with about a dozen or so, you can always make more if needed).
5. Mix the remaining ingredients well to make the empanada filling. Then place 1-2 tablespoons of filling in the center of each round, folding over and crimping the edges together with a fork to close the empanada.
6. Brush the tops with the egg wash and then dust the tops with the chili powder/kosher salt mixture.
7. Bake @ 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes until tops are golden brown. Serve as they are or with you favorite dipping sauce (I prefer a chimichurri).
Submitted by Coltfan13 of Indianapolis, IN