Hall of Fame

What do a paperboy, a pinup girl tattoo and a marathon runner have in common? Nothing. Besides our Hall of Fame.

We’ve had 7,645 people try for the Hall since 2001. But only 170 have been inducted. Read the unbelievable stories that got them in.

2006 Inductees

Sean Quinn (right)

(13 Cravers Agree)

Sean Quinn (right)

McHenry, IL

It all began back on November 2, 2004 when I was going to take a trip to Europe with two of my friends from around the U.S. We are all rapid fans of White Castle hamburgers and so I decided that it would be a treat if I picked up a Crave Case (30 of these delicious little buggers) and fly from Chicago to Philly with them to surprise my friends who are from Colorado (where sadly there aren’t any White Castles) and eat them together while we waited for our flight to Madrid, Spain.

Well, we weren’t able to eat all 30 of these majestic burgers, we had something like 10 of them left to eat on the plane as I intelligently decided to use the cardboard Crave Case as my carry-on item. During our trans-Atlantic flight a few more burgers were devoured and by the time we landed there were only three burgers left. My friends decided that since we had made it to Europe, we should stop eating American cuisine and instead focus on eating the local food. I agreed to this, but as we drove from Madrid to Seville, I got hungry once more and ate 2 more burgers; leaving only our soon to be famous burger left.

It was in our hostel in Seville that I came up with the ridiculous idea of taking pictures of the lone burger and/or its case as we traveled across Europe. The first picture of the burger in Europe is with the Crave Case sitting on the top of the “Tomb of Christopher Columbus” in the Cathedral of Seville. I figured “Heck, if Columbus discovered the New World and made it possible for all of these riches we have in modern day society to be enjoyed, I should at least bring him a little piece of his legacy to enjoy posthumously.” From Seville, we traveled to Tarifa ,the southern most point in mainland Europe.

The following day we took a ferry ride to Morocco where the White Castle racked up its third continent! After returning to Spain, we traveled to the country of Gibraltar for the day where the burger was nearly lost. Apparently, the Rock of Gibraltar is populated by both the British and a troop of wild monkeys with an affinity for stupid tourists (i.e. my friends and I). So as we are driving up the rock to hike to the top we pass several signs saying that there are monkeys and to not approach them. As we get closer to the top, we actually spotted one sitting on the side of the road. And I’m thinking to myself “This thing is only like 30 lbs, I don’t have to be afraid of it.” So I hop out of the car to get some pictures and my friends pull off to the side of the road to get some as well. My friends roll down their windows and, I kid you not, the SECOND, the windows came down the monkey stood up, bolted directly for the car and jumped through the window onto my friend’s lap. He proceeded to scream like a girl as the monkey jumped into the back seat, where the Crave Case was located, and rummage through our belongings. Luckily, the monkey found a bag of trail mix before the burger and jumped back out the window and ran down the hillside with his booty of chocolate chips and pretzel stix. (Yes, I have pictures and video of the attack.) Needless to say, I was rolling on the ground crying at this point having just witnessed my friends get charged by a 30 lb monkey; something you never see back home in Illinois.

Following the monkey debacle, we passed through Ronda where we saw an amazingly beautiful gorge that runs through the center of the city and ended up in Granada to visit the world famous Alhambra. Sadly, this is where my friends and I parted ways. My newfound hamburger pal and I had 3 whole weeks to explore, they only had one. So I headed up Barcelona to see the sites such as Guell Park and the unfinished La Sagrada Familia cathedral. From Barcelona, we traveled to Venice, Italy to check out the flooded city of gondolas. It was here that I hit a terrible rainstorm, which did irreversible damage to the cardboard Crave Case, but amazingly the burger held strong.

It was already over a week old, and the burger was still holding up! Was it really possible that the burger would survive the ENTIRE trip?! I took the train to Rome where ‘the little burger that could’ visited countless historic sites including, but not limited to: The Coliseum, Palatine Hill, Trevi Fountain and The Pantheon. It was here that I decided that there was no stopping this little burger. My new goal, to have the White Castle burger meet Pope John Paul. After walking around Rome all day, (not one time during this trip did I take a taxi or a bus to travel in the cities, I always traveled on foot with my burger by my side) I headed to Vatican City to scope out the place and try to figure out what the chances were of getting the burger into Saint Peter’s Cathedral. It was nighttime and the cathedral was closed, so I’d have to walk back the following day.

On my second attempt to get the burger into the cathedral, my palms began to sweat as I walked up towards the guards operating the metal/bomb/everything detectors outside the cathedral. Would they really let a beat up old cardboard box labeled “White Castle Crave Case” with a decrepit 2-week old hamburger inside enter into one of the Catholic faiths holiest of all relics? As the case went through the detector, I looked away embarrassedly, knowing that the guard was going to try and stop me for trying to bring this biological threat within the holy walls of St. Peter’s. Needless to say, I was astonished when the second guard handed me my Crave Case and let me pass and head towards the cathedral. In shock, I began walking through open doors to the cathedral; my mission was going to be a success!!! That is until a man dressed like a Secret Service agent stopped me and told me I wasn’t allowed to enter. I just knew it was too good to be true. So I asked the man if he would watch my “luggage” while I went in anyway to explore the cathedral and he said no. He wasn’t stopping me because of my “luggage”, he was stopping me because I was wearing shorts. Defeated, I looked around the immediate area for a clothing store. Yeah right, a clothing shop in St. Peter’s Plaza. The closest store I found had a pair of dress pants for something like 60 Euro, roughly $75 US. The day was a bust, the burger wouldn’t be able to get in and I didn’t get to see the cathedral. I had one more shot, the following day I had to catch a train around 3 p.m. which meant if I went to the Vatican first thing – and in proper pants – I just might get to meet the Pope yet. It was here that I decided that the tattered Crave Case was becoming more of a liability than it was worth and didn’t want to risk it running through the detectors again, so I threw it away.

At this point, I stashed the White Castle in my pants and headed for a third and final attempt at Vatican City. We made it past the “elite” Swiss Guard in no time and we finally were well within the walls of St. Peter’s Cathedral. Unfortunately, the Pope was not scheduled to be saying Mass that day so the burger wouldn’t get to meet John Paul; but we did have a great time admiring the Sistine Chapel. One completely non-passable photo opportunity came at the tithing/offering ox for the cathedral. I just had to put the White Castle on top. Following this picture, I toured the lower levels of the Cathedral where I discovered the sarcophaguses/tombs of several Popes from the past. So this was the moment of truth. If I placed the burger on Pope Benedict, I knew God would strike me down instantly . . . but what a way to go! Well, apparently God is a fan of White Castle as I’m still alive today and was able to snap a quick picture to boot!

I had taken enough risks for one day, so I hopped my train to the ruins of Pompeii. In Pompeii, I knew the burger was a hit because three stray dogs chased me around the monuments for hours, never leaving my side. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t because of my charming personality, they could smell the two-week old burger, and they wanted a piece! From Pompeii, we traveled to Naples and then down to Sicily for the burger’s greatest adventure to date, an attempted climb of Mt. Etna – one of the world’s most active volcanoes! Of course the mountain was completely covered in snow and ice. To make matters worse, it was in the middle of an active eruption! But this wouldn’t deter a moron such as myself. I figured when would a man and his burger have another chance to climb a volcano together? After speaking with the locals, the mountain was erupting on the east side and I wanted to climb from the south, so the lava shouldn’t be a problem. The weather started out clear and cool, but soon deteriorated to cold, windy, and zero visibility near the 10,000 ft summit. Amazingly, I ran into two volcanologists in full mountaineering gear at the top. They were busy taking samples of the gases being emitted from the crater and were astonished that someone else had climbed up, especially because I was wearing shorts and had no mountaineering equipment (in my defense, I don’t get cold easy and have a good deal of climbing experience; so it wasn’t a suicide mission by any stretch). We hung out near the summit for nearly an hour waiting for the whiteout to clear, but it didn’t. So I couldn’t take a definitive summit shot of the burger, but I swear on my life it made it to the top!

From Italy, we took a ferry to Greece for the burger’s second greatest adventure, an attempt to climb Mt. Olympus, home of the ancient Greek gods. Our bus was supposed to take us to the village of Litohoro where we would start our climb. Thanks to the language barrier, we were instead dropped on the side of the expressway at the exit for the village, some 3 miles or so away. I figured that since we were so close to the Aegean Sea that we would start our climb from sea level before climbing all the way to the top at some 9,000 feet. We followed the road for several miles until it dead-ended at the trailhead to the top where, according to the guidebooks, there is a climber’s hut you can pay to stay in. Well, the hut is there, but it’s only open during the summer, not November, so we slept next to a locked bathroom where during the course of the night, yet another random stray dog decided to befriend us and spent the night sleeping next to us. When the sun rose, we began to climb. The dog decided that it had nothing better to do at this point, so it followed me …and followed me …and followed me. The dog, quite literally climbed the entire mountain with me. It’s something like a 16-mile climb to the top. Some of it over snow and ice, but this dog did not miss a beat and followed me all the way to the top. Now, I had barely enough food and water for myself so I had nothing to offer this dog that had just climbed over one vertical mile with me. So I split my old loaf of bread and roughly 6 oz. of cheese with her; certainly not enough food to sustain us for long. Yes, the thought crossed my mind to eat my White Castle burger, but I didn’t want to disappoint the ancient gods and eat my modern day ambrosia before they had a chance to taste it for themselves on the summit of Olympus. Luckily, the weather was absolutely perfect and I was able to get a picture of the burger sitting atop the tallest mountain in Greece! I felt bad for the dog at this point that I promised her that if she followed me back to town, I would buy her dinner. She started to get really tired on the way down and when I would sit down to rest for a minute or two, she would fall asleep and refuse to stand back up. I had to force her to stand up and come down with me because I didn’t want to abandon her high up on the mountain and have her die. After much poking and prodding, she followed me back to the village where I purchased 1 kilo of roasted lamb (roughly 2.5 lbs of meat), a large loaf of bread, cole-slawish veggies on the side and we sat down and ate the entire dinner between the two of us. No dog has ever eaten this well.

At this point, I realized that I was starting to run low on space on my memory card for my camera and that I would have to abandon taking fun pictures of the White Castle everywhere to save space for “real” pictures. But from here we hitchhiked to the ancient battlefield at Thermopylae and then down to Athens. We toured the ancient sites like Poseidon’s Temple and the Acropolis. We took a ferry down to the island of Crete to take in the ancient ruins of Knossos, home to the mythical Minotaur and King Minos. We also hiked through Samara Gorge on the south side of the island. After a return to Athens, it was time for the long plane rides home – Athens to Amsterdam for a one-hour layover and then back to Chicago.

The epic journey had ended. In all, this amazing White Castle hamburger has traveled in the U.S., Spain, Morocco, Gibraltar, Italy, Vatican City, Greece and the Netherlands. 8 COUNTRIES SPREAD OVER 3 CONTINENTS!

Michael N. Niebauer (Left)

(38 Cravers Agree)

Michael N. Niebauer (Left)

College Point, NY

My craver story began on September 11, 2001. It was a nice sunny fall day in New York City. On this day I had a date with destiny. I own a small, well-respected government and media relations consulting business and was on my way to talk to some New York State Tax Department officials at their offices located in the World Trade Center concerning a pending liquor license problem for a bar that my friend Kenny was involved in.

Instead, my girlfriend Pamela, a police officer in Queens, asked me to give her a hand after her tour of duty (11 pm to 7 am) to help set up Primary Election Day operations for her labor union. The Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association endorsed a candidate running for city council in the 19th district that day. Pamela wanted the PBA-endorsed City Council candidate to win the election and asked me to use my battle-tested political campaign skills to help coordinate a successful “GOTV” to get out the vote operation for her.

I first told Pamela “no” because I had to fix a tax and liquor problem for my friend Kenny at the World Trade Center, and said I would catch up with her PBA-endorsed candidate’s campaign later in the day. Pamela begged for my help on Primary Day and said I could take care of my friend’s liquor license problems the next day right after my tour of duty on Wednesday, September 12, 2001.I decided to help Pamela with her PBA-endorsed candidate’s GOTV operation instead of going to the World Trade Center that morning.

I picked up Pamela at the station house after 7:00am and took her home to get ready for Primary Day, September 11, 2001. While Pamela was getting ready, I was watching the morning television news programs to get a heads up on NYC Primary Day turnout. Within a few minutes the news all focused on a fire at the World Trade Center.

I thought it was a building power generator fire or that maybe something hit the building, a small airplane or tourist sightseeing helicopter by accident? What happened next, I’ll never forget. I watched a large passenger jet airline turn, bank into and hit head-on the other Twin Tower on television, and also saw it out of Pamela’s house window. Pamela’s house is located across the river in College Point, Queens on a hill with a nice view of the Manhattan skyline.
Within seconds, an emergency broadcast told all uniform first responders like my NYPD Pamela to report to their precinct or headquarters immediately because of the attack. Primary Day in NYC was cancelled.

Like millions of Americans that morning – we both looked at each other and asked, “What’s next?” and “Who could commit such a despicable act against us?” Pamela and I decided to take action against these “evil doers” up-close and personal.

We created “OPERATION: Good Will on Wheels 9/11,” a mobile volunteer canteen, friendship and support service for our uniform services protecting New York City at numerous check points throughout. We became the only volunteer canteen under the direct supervision of the NYPD, National Guard, New York State Police (Troopers), Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Police.

As our mobile office, we used a businessman’s Winnebago motor home that was used in his unsuccessful campaign for the U.S. Senate in 2000. It was all set up for a statewide campaign with a 5000-watt public address system, flashing lights, restroom, kitchen and a flashy, patriotic red, white and blue paint job. Overnight, “OPERATION: Good Will on Wheels 9/11” became a hit with the law enforcement and military personnel standing guard at check points around the city. The first three days of “OPERATION: Good Will on Wheels 9/11” was crazy.

Everyone was on edge, not knowing what would happen next. I used my credit card to buy Sacks and drinks, but ran out almost immediately; I was forced to be creative in setting up a steady supply of food and drinks. After my meal runs, I also used the motor home as a temporary mobile dormitory for some first responders that lived too far from the “Gates of Ground Zero.”

After the third day, with my police escort on board, I visited the Shea Stadium donation center set up by the National Guard and other agencies to help receive and distribute world wide donations of supplies to help 9-11 victims, rescue workers, first responders, volunteers and other coup with the overwhelming stress of the aftermath of the 9-11 terrorist attacks 24/7.

On the fourth day, I knew I had to give our men and women in uniform at check points protecting us 24/7 something different, like hot comfort food. My all-volunteer operation wasn’t set up to cook for hundreds of first responders – and on what budget? I had to act fast and everyone loves fast food, so I decided to contact the major fast food restaurant chains to help me feed and comfort our 9-11 heroes regularly.

I contacted White Castle’s Assistant Regional Director and District Supervisor – they helped make my “OPERATION: Good Will on Wheels 9/11” a volunteer success story. The Sunnyside White Castle restaurant was my pickup location under the supervision of manager, Andrew Davis and other White Castle staff. The leadership, kindness, generosity and team work shown by those White Castle employees made all-volunteer “OPERATION: Good Will on Wheels 9/11” a historic patriotic success.

Like I said, my White Castle Cravers story made history.

Walter Thomas

(4 Cravers Agree)

Walter Thomas

Camby, IN

I want to share a strange occurrence with you regarding my granddaughter, Kris’tianna Charese Thomas. We are avid White Castle hamburger eaters and eat them about three to four times a week. I noticed that when my granddaughter was about two-months-old the scent of the White Castle hamburger provided a calming effect to her. There were several nights when she would cry, wouldn’t take her bottle and was just plain restless. One night I came home with a sack of White Castles and she was crying uncontrollably and my daughter could not get her to sleep. I placed the White Castle bag next to her bed and she immediately stopped crying. I noticed when I took the bag out of her room she would cry again.

As she got older and started to focus with her eyes, she would watch me eat my White Castles. When she was six months, I gave her her first bite of a White Castle cheeseburger. You should have seen the look of joy on her face. She could not get enough of the White Castles. I put her in her high chair and broke the hamburger into small pieces. She ate a whole one by herself. As she got older, she craved the White Castles more than she did her bottle of milk. People could not believe that she was craving White Castles like that. She is now 15-months-old and I take her with me at least two times a week and we go inside White Castle to eat the cheeseburgers. I buy her three cheeseburgers and break them up into little pieces. She devours them all and still has that crave look on her face. My granddaughter is truly a White Castle Craver.

Tom Knox

(12 Cravers Agree)

Tom Knox

Hilliard, OH

When asked to do a project in my senior year for my high school Sculpture class, I thought long and hard about what inspired me most and would bring out the best in me. Family? Nope. Religion? Nay. I was perplexed, until I thought of the daily activity my friend and I did the previous summer – eat at White Castle.

Almost daily, my friend Fisk and I would start the day off right with the delicious cheeseburgers at White Castle. So, I decided to spring the idea to my teacher, and she thought it was great – a maximized replica of the cheeseburger and box would be eye-catching and unique. And so I spent the next two months working rigorously on the cheeseburger box – making correct measurements, getting the corners to fold correctly, projecting the logo on the box in the center. I used a myriad of assorted materials to complete the box, such as cardboard, chicken wire, fine fabric, Styrofoam and paint. Normally, I wouldn’t spend any money on Sculpture class, but this project I was proud of. I went to the fabric store for the hamburger and bun covering and spent nearly $50. I completed it just before the deadline to enter it into the Ohio Governor’s Show for art. Although it didn’t win, the artwork was the talk of the school and my most favorable memory of my senior year in high school.

White Castle inspired me to work harder than I ever did in that class before or after. My teacher, who previously lambasted me for my lack of motivation in the class praised me for my dedication. The joy of White Castle improved my academics and artistic integrity, as well as my taste buds.

Sean Hanson

(43 Cravers Agree)

Sean Hanson

Newton Square, PA

I’ve been obsessed with White Castle for as long as I can remember. I have books, pins, old Crave Cases/Slider boxes, started the White Castle Fan Club at the University of Minnesota Duluth and my nickname is even “The Slider Pilot” (“Slider,” for short).

When I moved from Minnesota to Pennsylvania this past summer, I knew I had to get a new driver’s license. I also knew that I’d have to make some sort of statement seeing as though this was my first non-Minnesota driver’s license (I got my first one at age 16 and then my second when I turned 21 in Minnesota). I struggled to come up with good ideas since I already shaved my head and had a goatee. But when I woke up that fateful Saturday morning, I had an epiphany – incorporate the White Castle logo into my picture!!! Since I have multiple shirts with the logo on it – and I probably wouldn’t be allowed to wear a hat for the picture – I picked out the shirt that gave me the best chance of getting the logo into the picture. When I sat down for my picture, I leaned back ever so slightly so I could get the logo in the picture. When I approached the computer monitor to see how it turned out, I was nervous about the potential of the logo not being in the photo. But alas, my fears were squelched when I saw the glorious White Castle logo in the corner of the photo! Now whenever I present my driver’s license (this includes Election Day this past November and the one time I’ve been pulled over in Pennsylvania), people will know that I am a White Castle-aholic.

Tom Carey (Nominated by Tim Rivers)

(11 Cravers Agree)

Tom Carey (Nominated by Tim Rivers)

Kokomo, IN

Tom Carey of the Kokomo Tribune in Kokomo, Indiana has the first Slider sold in 1999 in Kokomo, “The City of Firsts.” The Slider was eventually encased in plastic and framed for the purposes of fund-raising. That is to say, each year since 1999, the Slider has been auctioned off on WWKIs “We Care” telethon – a local charity formed by a local radio station that raises money for less fortunate families at Christmas time. This year, Mr. Carey raised (with matching funds from White Castle) $5,160. That brings the overall amount raised by this Slider to somewhere around $40,000 to date. That has to be a record-high price for a single Slider. I think Mr. Carey deserves to be in the Hall of Fame for this. He intends to continue auctioning off this Slider each year, so the amount will continue to rise

Gina and Annie Wilkerson

(17 Cravers Agree)

Gina and Annie Wilkerson

Festus, MO

My daughter, Annie, and I have a very unique bond involving White Castle cheeseburgers. When I was carrying Annie inside the womb, I was deathly sick with morning sickness the first several months. Until I found the cure! One morning at about 10:30 I had a craving for White Castle cheeseburgers.

I figured I would get sick on them, like everything else I ate those first few months of pregnancy. However, much to my surprise two cheeseburgers and an iced tea became my morning ritual at 10:30 because they calmed my stomach and allowed many hours of nausea free living!

Now this is interesting, but not the part of our story I find most intriguing: When my daughter arrived and was old enough, we gave her her first White Castle cheeseburger. As she became old enough to talk, the most bizarre thing began to happen. Several mornings a week, at about 10:30, Annie would ask to go to White Castle for cheeseburgers. It was amazing to me that this would happen. In our family, often when we are in a White Castle drive-through or enjoying our burgers at home, we reflect on this story and how funny it really is.

We will forever be White Castle fans, and forever we will bond over this story. The best part of this is that no place in any medical advice office or column did it ever suggest I indulge in White Castles and iced tea to soothe those miserable mornings of constant sickness. All hail the White Castle!

David Daniele and Kyle Smith

(31 Cravers Agree)

David Daniele and Kyle Smith

Harrisonburg, VA and Franklin Square, NY

It all began the summer going into our junior year. We were going to see the movie Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle one night, unaware of where it would take us. The movie was hilarious and we didn’t understand why we couldn’t suppress the crave for White Castle burgers. However, seeing the burgers and how both Harold and Kumar devoured them caused us to want to march over to White Castle and try them for ourselves.

Walking into White Castle for the first time in our lives would forever change the way we look at fast food. Not having eaten before going out, we were both famished enough that we had to go big. No sack of ten would cut it. We looked up at the menu and saw: “Crate – $50.” Astonished that there was a box that fit 100 burgers, we knew we had to get it. But how could the two of us finish 100 burgers? Our questions was answered when we saw three other kids who looked as hungry as we were. Not knowing who they were, we asked them if they wanted to split the crate with us, each getting twenty burgers. They agreed and we ordered what would be the turning point in our lives. We polished off those burgers like it was our job; eating every last bite along with the ten orders of fries we ordered as well. From then on, the five of us have been the best of friends.

Since that day, all of us go every weekend to White Castle, and once a month we consume a crate. Two of us are in our first year of college now and the other three are seniors in high school. With our separation we all swore to never go to White Castle unless all five of us are there. With each of our first steps back into our hometown, the five of us all reunite together at White Castle. With every break and every weekend we spend at home, the first thing we all do is make a trip to White Castle hoping to stop what seemed to be a never-ending crave, since White Castle would not be the same without our other friends. Since the beginning of our first quest into White Castle, we have now begun to call ourselves the White Castle Crew (WCC). Since many of our friends grew jealous because they felt they shared the same love we had for White Castle, they also wanted to join. This is when the five of us started the Original White Castle Crew (OWCC), which no matter what, would only consist of the five founding members.

John Schrage and Marty McMillan

(31 Cravers Agree)

John Schrage and Marty McMillan

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

Lord Stanley Visits White Castle. The Stanley Cup is one of the most prestigious trophies in the sporting world, and the oldest trophy competed for by professional athletes. It is also the only trophy in all of sports that is passed along from player to player after the team wins it. So imagine the surprise of a few hockey fans who observed the Stanley Cup sitting on a table at a White Castle one late night. In “Hockeytown,” as Detroit has been affectionately known, a Stanley Cup sighting is as rare as a hockey player having their original front teeth.

Named after Earl of Preston and Governor General of Canada, the Stanley Cup has been awarded to the National Hockey League champion every year. In 1997, the Detroit Red Wings were the Stanley Cup Champions and Hockeytown was in full celebration. It was a late Friday night in 1997 when I was hosting a birthday party for a friend when we had an unexpected “surprise” guest arrive. The guest spoke no words, yet upon entering the house, was the life of the party. The guest was “Lord Stanley”. News spread quickly and the party size quickly grew from 100 to about 400 people. Everyone wanted to see and get their picture with “The Cup”. As the birthday party was ending, most of the party-goers had retired to their homes, yet one particular guest decided to stick around. That guest was a young ambassador from Toronto’s National Hockey Hall of Fame, named Paul Oke. Also known as “the keeper of the Cup,” Paul took his job very seriously and represented the NHL and the Stanley Cup well. He was used to the late night parties and had traveled all over the world protecting the Stanley Cup.

However, there was one place this Canadian had never been: White Castle! So on a late Friday night at 2:30 a.m., along with my friends Marty McMillan and Marty Cohan, we escorted Paul and the Stanley Cup to the White Castle located at Eight Mile Road and Gratiot in Detroit. Paul never lost sight of his role as the official “Keeper of the Cup.” Unable to leave the Cup unattended in his vehicle, he gently removed the trophy from the custom crate. Wearing his trademarked white gloves, he polished the trophy on all sides and carefully brought the “silverware” inside the White Castle. There we were, consuming Sacks of steam-grilled White Castle Sliders, and the Stanley Cup was our table centerpiece. As I peered side to side, the grins of my friends and I clearly revealed our genuine delight. The reactions and expressions from the late night crowd at White Castle were priceless. Most were in disbelief and initially thought the trophy was a prank. One customer was so shocked that he ran outside and down the street to a local 24-hour pharmacy to purchase an instant camera. We were fortunate to bring a camera ourselves and capture a group photo with Lord Stanley and the White Castle crew members. The night, as anyone could speculate, was unforgettable. Eight years later, it is still hard to believe that we partied with the Stanley Cup and then went to White Castle. While the Cup produced a memorable moment, the late night run to White Castle just seemed like the appropriate thing to do when you celebrate, and made our night a lifetime memory. A night our Canadian friend and we will never forget.

Yale Stewart and Jacob Werkman

(37 Cravers Agree)

Yale Stewart and Jacob Werkman

St. Louis, MO

I am nominating myself, Yale Stewart, and my friends, Edward “Jacob” Werkmann, Dave Scoular, and Cooper Collins, for induction into the White Castle Hall of Fame. All of us have been White Castle fans for as long as we can remember, but this year, our senior year, has been the Year of the Castle.

It all started a week or two into school (Fall of 2005). Our school has an open-campus, so we are free to go out during lunch to whatever eatery we so desire. Luckily, our school is located in fast-food central, surrounded by every type of restaurant you can imagine. Yes, that includes White Castle. Anyway, Jake and I decided that the crave had struck, so we hopped into his baby blue ’85 Toyota Corolla and cruised on over to grab ourselves some burgers. We ordered the number three with two Mr. Pibbs, an order that breaks even at $10 and can be evenly split between two of us. We gobbled up the delicious meal and returned to school.

The next day, lunch hour came quickly, and being the hungry growing boys that we were, we decided we wanted some White Castles again. Before this gets redundant, let me just get to the point. We have been eating at White Castle every day (literally every weekday) ordering the same number three meal with two Mr. Pibbs since whatever that week was way back in September, 2005. (Please note that it is currently January of 2006 as I write this.) Now, this could easily be qualification for induction into the White Castle Hall of Fame, but the crave does not stop there.

A few weeks after we started our new eating method, we decided that we needed something to show for it. We called our friend Cooper and asked him if he was using his locker at all that year. When he gave us a negative response, we had an idea to keep the boxes and put them in Coop’s locker. It was 17-year old high school mentality at its finest. Everyone knows that two White Castle Slider boxes can be put together perfectly to form a cube. These boxes can then be stacked next to or on top of one another to the heart’s content. We began to keep boxes from our daily routine, collecting five cubes a day. Our high school lockers are able to hold rows of six cubes, three cubes deep. That’s eighteen cubes a layer, meaning thirty-six White Castle boxes a layer. Dave, Coop, Jake, and I constantly saved the boxes from our White Castle excursions (which will be discussed more thoroughly in a minute), and obviously our locker had became more and more full over the next five months, until it was eventually full. We had about 500 boxes, maybe more. Sadly, we had to throw the new boxes away, but that doesn’t stop us from going to White Castle. In fact, it was our trip today that has inspired this essay.

Now, while we feel that eating five White Castles a day for the past five months is enough for Hall of Fame status, you guys should probably hear some of the things we’ve done to GET our White Castles. After all, that is the sign of a true Craver. The first and most common method of obtaining White Castle would be skipping classes. Now, don’t be alarmed. We’re seniors, and therefore our classes are never too important, and we manage to maintain A’s and B’s in all of our classes. It’s just that sometimes we get too hungry too early, and got to get some food. There was a time when our security guard was on high alert for students trying to leave the school during an auditorium session, so we had to sneak out through a fire escape door. Believe it or not, it worked. There have actually been times when we’ve risked life and limb to get our Sliders. Once we were driving to White Castle, and we found out that a good portion of our student body had the Crave as well. No one ever wants to be last in line, so as Jake was pulling into White Castle-and a good deal of other classmates as well-I leaped out of the moving car and sprinted into the building to ensure that we would be first in line. Don’t worry. No one was injured. Another incident was one night I had the Crave so bad it hurt. Sadly, I live in south St. Louis, and the White Castle near my house on Kingshighway Boulevard has been torn down for a remodeling. Anyway, I hopped into my Volvo and drove out to the White Castle on Watson Roa to order about six or seven Sliders and as I was pulling away from the drive-thru, my car broke down. I called my dad and Coop, since he worked around there, and by the time they had arrived on the scene, my White Castles were long since gone. I was planning on saving them for home since I didn’t buy a drink, but that just wasn’t gonna happen.

I think our absolute wildest story was the night of homecoming at our school. The dance had ended and we were all planning to head over to a hotel out by Northwest Plaza for an after-party. Anyway, most everyone else had dates they were bringing, and since Dave’s girlfriend couldn’t go and I didn’t have one at the time, I was going to drive Dave and myself out to the hotel. Before we left, though, we ran over to White Castle in our suits and ties to order some Sliders around 9:30 P.M. Later that night, around one or two in the morning, after all of the couples had retired to their hotel rooms, Dave, Cooper and I were chilling in the hot tub and just relaxing. Suddenly it hit me. I turned to the guys and simply asked, “Who’s up for a Crave Case?” We all agreed that the Crave was present and must be vanquished. We hopped out of the Jacuzzi and ran to the front desk. By this time it was around 2:30 in the morning, so the hotel wasn’t very lively. Towels tied around our waist and still pretty damp, we asked the receptionist if there was a White Castle anywhere around. Thankfully, she told us there was one just one exit down the highway from the hotel and gave us directions. We ran up to the rooms and grabbed our clothes, knocked on some doors and asked if anyone wanted anything, then jumped in the car. We arrived at the White Castle around 3 a.m. and discovered that Cooper could not come in due to lack of shoes, so Dave and I ran inside, ordered a Crave Case with 10 cheeseburgers and plenty of ketchup to go. We may have gotten sodas, but I can’t remember. Anyway, we returned to the hotel and ate our meal with our friend, Billy, in the courtyard at around 3:30 a.m., still somewhat wet from the hot tub. We ended up having a few burgers left from the Crave Case and knocked on Jake’s door to see if he’d like some. Well, we found out that it wasn’t his door after we knocked for about a minute and he answered from a different room. Luckily, we didn’t get the crap beat out of us by an irate traveler. This night has gone down in our memories as one of the greatest nights of our high school career.

Our most recent memorable White Castle excursion was when we hit up White Castle and got a Crave Case, only to bring it back to school and devour it in about fifteen to twenty minutes. Jake set a new personal record with twelve, myself with ten, and Cooper ate a standard, well, eight. It was quite fantastic. Now, many people have stories in the White Castle Hall of Fame spanning their entire lives that involve White Castle, but we have accomplished all of this in the past five months. Let’s be serious, folks. We’re pretty hardcore. (We really hope you guys pick us for the Hall of Fame. It would be the perfect way to end high school – and all of our graduating class hopes you do.)

What's Your Story?

Tell us what makes you legendary before July 31, 2015 and earn a free gift.

Submit Your Story